Friday, May 1, 2009

30 Day Art Challenge: Day 4, New Glasses & O, How I Love my Tolkien

I got my new nerd grrrrl glasses. They make me feel like a sexy librarian, a slightly dizzy, sexy librarian. The dizzy is because the wide arms=no peripheral vision, which I didn't notice in the store before I bought them. One would think that people who design glasses would think of pesky little things like, oh say, not blocking your vision...but apparently that is ok as long as they look good. I'm sure they'll be fine as soon as my eyes adjust, but still, they're going to leave me totally vulnerable to any flank attacks from marauding ninjas, pirates, zombies or orcs....and one also wonders about driving...
(and look at that overgrown hippie hair! I'm getting a haircut soon, I promise.)

Speaking of orcs and such...today's artwork:


Yes, it's Gandalf. An ATC for an exchange over at Willowing.

I have Tolkien on the brain again. Not because I am rereading LotR to myself for the kabillionth time or rewatching the Peter Jackson movies (O Aragorn, you're so dreamy! *sigh*), but because I have recently begun reading it to my sons. They have been asking me to read it to them for the last couple of years, but I put them off thinking that the plot and language were still a little too complex for them. Now they are 9, which I still think is young, but they are reading at an advanced level for their age, and did brilliantly well with keeping up with the twists and turns in the Harry Potter series when we recently completed it (which was so much fun to share with them!). So I figured we could give it a try.

As always, slipping into this book is like sliding into a hot bath. Aahhhhh...nice. I love these characters like old friends, love the cadence of the language that Tolkien used, love the maps, love the humour, love the grand scope of it all. It will be a challenging read for my guys. I am stopping at least once every second paragraph to explain an archaic word or turn of phrase, but they're into it. And how wonderful is it to share something with them that I, their father as a boy and even their Great Grandfather loved so much? E&L are considering it a rite of passage, since the DH's grandfather gave him a copy to read when he was just a little older than they are now. Part of our family history, part of growing up.

And I couldn't think of a better story to share with growing minds...bravery, loyalty, doing what's right in the face of almost overwhelming evil, persevering when you are small and your hope is even smaller. Not to mention the fact that it's just a good, old fashioned, exciting adventure story...battles, Elves, mighty warriors, scary bad guys...I mean, come on, that's good stuff! So I am really, really looking forward to reading it to them.


“This is my last word,” he said in a low voice. “The Ring-bearer is setting out on the Quest of Mount Doom. On him alone is any charge laid: neither to cast away the Ring, nor to deliver it to any servant of the Enemy nor indeed to let any handle it, save the members of the Company and the Council, and only then in gravest need. The others go with him as free companions, to help him on his way. You may tarry, or come back, or turn aside into other paths, as chance allows. The further you go, the less easy will it be to withdraw; yet no oath or bond is laid on you to go further than you will. For you do not yet know the strength of your hearts, and you cannot foresee what each may meet upon the road.”

~Elrond, The Ring Goes South, LOTR

5 comments:

  1. I love the new glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the glasses + your sweet face = perfection! just don't hurt yourself woman... jeeezus!

    can you guess how much i love that you are reading it TO them :) what a wonderful right of passage! awesome parenting ftw!

    xo
    k

    ReplyDelete
  3. dang, E, you're cute. LOL, I got new nerd glasses this year too, almost the same as yours!
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! :)

    Do yours have the wide, wide arms on them too Mel? If so, did they make you crazy at first? I am still getting used to them today. That peripheral vision thing, driving me kind of nuts! I feel like a granny...just can't get used to these crazy new spectacles that the kids are wearing these days! (said in a quavering Granny voice)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin